At last year's Brand ManageCamp conference, Carl Nichols talked about the importance of being #1 (as described in his book with Bill Schley called "Why Johnny Can't Brand"). One of his points was that if you can't be number one in the area already occupied by your competitors, redefine the area and make yourself #1 in that new space - taking advantage of the fact that, although most people can only remember one #1 brand in any perceived area of specialty, those same people have an uncanny ability to recall an almost unlimited number of specialties (and, hence, an unlimited number of #1's). He explained, though, that just calling yourself #1 is not enough - your #1 has to be superlative, important, believable, memorable and tangible.
I am going to be at the CTIA Wireless show in Las Vegas next week, and I was checking out the exhibiting companies to get an idea of how I'd like to plan my days. As I looked through the long list of exhibitors, I couldn't help but wonder if most of these folks had bought Carl's book - but only read a couple of lines. Here are just a few of the hundreds of self-described #1's exhibiting at the show:
- ADTRAN - A leading global provider of networking and communications equipment with more than 1,600 solutions for use in the last mile of today's ecommunications networks.
- Agilent Technologies, the world leader in test and measurement solutions, is at the forefront of emerging communications standards.
- Airwide Solutions has emerged as the global market-leading provider of next generation mobile messaging and wireless internet infrastructure, applications and solutions.
- With more than 3 million units deployed in 150 countries, Alvarion is the world’s leading provider of innovative WiMAX and wireless broadband network solutions, designed to enable Personal Broadband to improve lifestyles and productivity with portable and mobile data, VoIP, video and other services.
- Arieso is recognized as a world leader in the development of innovative solutions that help wireless operators and service providers improve the performance of their networks at a lower cost.
- ATC Logistics & Electronics (ATCLE) is the proven leader of third party logistics and supply chain solutions for high-value serialized devices for the wireless, broadband and medical industries.
- Axesstel, Inc. (AMEX: AFT) is a recognized industry leader in the design and development of fixed wireless voice and broadband data products for markets worldwide.
And those aren't even all the world or industry leaders in the A's!!!!